Thursday, December 27, 2012

Tip of the Day # 136: No more Pet Accidents!

STOP YOUR PETS FROM HAVING ACCIDENTS IN YOUR HOME

When I realized my dog was marking in the same spot over and over… I researched the internet for reasons behind this behavior. Fact is, dogs have an incredible sense a smell, so even though I would clean the area thoroughly and could no longer smell his urine (he could). She would continue to go in the same spot over and over and I would continue to clean over and over… Until I made this spray!

Ingredients-
Eucalyptus or Cinnamon essential oil
Cayenne pepper
Water

Combine 2 cups of water with a tablespoon of essential oil and a tablespoon of cayenne pepper.

Clean the area that has been soiled. Avoid using ammonia based products to clean dog urine. Dog urine has ammonia in it and he/she may be encouraged to go in the same area.  Remember, your dog’s sense of smell is a hundred times better than yours.

Now spray this oil infused mixture onto the spot. The Eucalyptus/Cinnamon smell is too overwhelming to a dog and he/she will be deterred from using that spot as his/her bathroom. Make sure to respray the area every 24 hours until the dog completely loses interest in that area.

The Cayenne pepper is added as an additional precaution just in case your pet decides to lick the spray, not only will his/her nose be bothered but his/her tongue will be as well.

**WARNING--This spray is geared more towards DOG accidents as opposed to cats--that is because cats cannot tolerate essential oils (their livers do not have the enzymes that dogs & humans do to break down the components of essential oils so they can be harmlessly expelled!** 



14 comments:

  1. Is this harmful to cats only if they would ingest it or even if you clean the area with it and they smell it? Tammy ~ http://www.yoursandmineareours.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mainly just if they happen to ingest it..should be okay if they simply smell it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not true. A coworker was diffusing oils for several days and her cat ended up very sick because of it.

      Delete
  3. What are the effects on the carpet? I have a white rug that my dog has recently been marking on. Will the cayenne pepper stain the carpet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you ever get a response from this question?

      Delete
  4. Can I use clove oil instead of cinnamon?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm having trouble with the industrial sprayer any suggestions

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Pet Odor Removal in Virginia Beach post will be really helpful for its simple DIY methods. Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome work! That is quite appreciated. I hope you’ll get more success.thesteammop.club

    ReplyDelete
  8. Put in several sprayers and can't get it to spray. Got any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is a chemist. He tells me some things. Your sprayer can't spray oil, not made for that. The oil sprayers, like those that you use for making olive oil spray, are specially made for the thicker liquid. Sprayers for cleaning agents, like water based things, are made for water thickness. You need to dissolve the oil first in rubbing alcohol. Professionals, like those who make "pine sol", know how much alcohol, how much pine oil and how much water will spray cleanly. You'd have to test your essential- oil- in-alcohol /to water, ratio, after letting the oil dissolve in alcohol,then add water to see if it gets cloudy(need more alcohol then) or clear. But if you use ALL alcohol and the essential oil, no worries, it WILL spray and dogs purportedly don't like the smell of the alcohol either! But without the water, the whole thing will evaporate sooner, but it's a safe way to go.

      Delete
  9. Mine is peeing and pooping under my bed. Instead of going out at night I guess because I keep door closed during day. I usually use dawn and vinegar but I still smell it. I might try essential oil. My bed is heavy and carpeted floors so I will have to crawl under to do it. Just hope it works.

    ReplyDelete