1. To ripen avocados quickly, place them in a wool sock and set in a dark place.
2. To revive limp asparagus, try placing them in a tall pot with ice water in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
3. If you cook your vegetables with a small amount of milk, it will bring out more colour.
4. If you sprinkle salt into the water when you are washing vegetables, it will draw out any insects.
5. When cooking onions or cabbage, boil a small amount of vinegar in a pan to remove the odours.
6. If you sprinkle lemons with water and refrigerate them in a plastic bag, they will last a month or more.
7. If citrus fruits are warmed in the microwave or warm oven for a few minutes, they will yield more juice.
8. To keep cauliflower white during cooking, add lemon to the water. Overcooking tends to make cauliflower darker and makes it tougher.
9. To keep mushrooms white and firm when sautéing them, add a teaspoon of lemon juice to each quarter pound of butter.
10. When making stuffed peppers, coat the outside of the pepper with vegetable oil and it will retain its colour. Also, cook them in muffin tins to keep their shape.